Mattresses are the most important investment we make in our attempts to get a good night’s sleep, but they do need regular care to if you want yours to last for a long time.
The ill effects of a bad night’s sleep are well documented, and it’s surprising to hear that most people don’t realize just how much their choice of foam can affect their sleeping environment.
Your mattress eventually determines the level of comfort you get at night, so it’s essential that you take proper care of it if you don’t want to wake up with a sore neck or a terrible backache.
Remember: Follow our 5 care tips regularly, and always following the instructions provided by the manufacturer of your mattress Dubai.
Considering we spend almost 1/3rd of our lives asleep, it’s surprising to hear that most people don’t know the basics of caring for their mattresses.
A good quality mattress should last for around 10 years without losing its level of comfort, so there’s cause for concern if your last purchase served you well for only half that time.
How to care for your mattress:
1. Make sure the bed provides adequate support
- Just like your mattress is designed to support you, the bed frame is designed to support your mattress.
- Buy have a solid frame that’s constructed with dense materials like heavy woods or steel.
- Ask the manufacturer if extra support has been provided in the center. This is where mattresses sag first.
- DO NOT add a separate slab over the frame. This makes the mattress wear unevenly.
2. Use a surface protector from the start
- Surface protectors are excellent for keeping dust mites away.
- A good quality mattress protector will make your bed effectively waterproof, so you don’t need to worry about spills and stains.
- It also prevents the growth of allergy-causing bacteria and molds.
- Modern protectors feel just as comfortable as the standard bed sheet.
3. Wash the linens regularly
- Bed sheets tend to get incredibly dirty if left unwashed for long periods of time.
- In addition to making the bed smelly, body oils, skin cells, and food particles can seep into the mattress.
- The presence of these elements creates a breeding ground for bacteria and dust mites.
- Wash all bed linens every two weeks and the mattress protector once a month as per the manufacturer’s directions.
4. Rotate the mattress twice a year
- Mattresses wear out unevenly over time as the weight gets concentrated around your shoulders and back.
- Rotating the mattress every 4-5 months promotes even wear over the foam.
- This simple practice can extend the life of your mattress by almost 2 years.
- In case you have a double-sided mattress, it should be rotated AND flipped every 4 months.
5. Don’t sit on it
- Contrary to popular belief, mattresses aren’t meant to be sat on.
- When you sit on your mattress, the weight gets concentrated in one small area.
- This causes uneven wear and sagging which speeds up the deterioration process.
- Avoid sitting on the mattress edges at all costs. These are generally the weakest areas.